Resources and signposting

I am experiencing abuse, or think I might be, what are my options?

It can be incredibly difficult to realise or accept that you may be experiencing abuse from a partner or family member. There is a huge amount of fear involved. You might be worried about the potential repercussions of seeking help or telling anyone, feeling confused or ashamed about what is happening to you. You are probably exhausted and anxious and uncertain about what is best to do.

You are not alone.

It is not your fault.

You will be believed and supported.

All of the members of SEEdS Wales have been in a similar situation to you and understand what you are going through. We use that insight to influence decision-makers and service providers.

You can also get in touch with the Live Fear Free Helpline free of charge by phone, online chat, text or email.

If you are in an emergency situation please call 999. If you are unable to speak to the operator, then press 55 when prompted.

The police are very supportive during the coronavirus lockdown and will still come into your house if their presence is needed. You can leave your home if you need to flee abuse, despite lockdown restrictions.

Live Fear Free Helpline

Live Fear Free can provide help and advice to:

  • anyone experiencing domestic abuse
  • anyone who knows someone who needs help. For example, a friend, family member or colleague
  • practitioners seeking professional advice.

All conversations with Live Fear Free are confidential and are taken by staff that are highly experienced and fully trained.

Call: 0808 80 10 800

Available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
About the helpline

Text: 07860077333

Available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.


Local support services

Local domestic abuse services can offer advice, support and advise on options such as accommodation or refuge if you need to flee to a safe place. Search for your local service here.

For specialist BME community services, contact BAWSO.

If I suspect domestic abuse is happening to someone, what should I do?

We are asked this question frequently by people who are worried that a friend or family member has entered a relationship that is or is becoming abusive.

It’s important to remain unjudgemental and to recognise that there are many reasons that prevent women from accepting help or even being willing to have a conversation about your concerns. Knowing that you are there if needed is the most important thing you can do. When a woman who is experiencing abuse is ready to seek help, knowing that there are people they can go to could save their life.

Do not attempt to confront the abuser or try to convince a person who is experiencing abuse to leave.

Clare’s Law: Domestic Abuse Disclosure Scheme 

graphic of cherry blossoms stating clare's law the domestic abuse disclosure scheme

A young woman by the name of Clare Wood, was murdered by her partner in 2009. Her partner had a recorded history of violence towards women. 

After her death, Clare’s family campaigned for a new law to allow people to find out if a new partner has a history of abuse. They believed that if they had known about the partner’s history of violence then they could have prevented Clare’s death.

If you are concerned about someone who may be a victim of domestic violence, you can ask for a disclosure from the police, citing Clare’s law. Or you can encourage the victim to do so. 

It will then lie with the police as to who they give any information to. 

If there is any information to be released about the alleged perpetrator then well-informed decisions can take place regarding the alleged victim’s safety. 

The police categorically state that disclosure under Clare’s law is not a guarantee of safety,  since not all men with a history of violence are known to the police but the way that it exists and its use, will potentially protect from possible abuse. 

If you wish to utilise Clare’s Law then:

  1. Contact the police, via email or by dialling 101, or by calling into a police station.
  2. Understand fully, why you are asking for the law to be enabled and make a detailed list of your concerns
  3. You will have to give your name, date of Birth and address.
  4. You will need to provide ID
  5. Be aware that if you disclose that mental or physical harm has already taken place, the police may decide to arrest the perpetrator under criminal law, if they deem that a crime has taken place. 

The police will then conduct a series of meetings with organisations involved who may hold records about the perpetrator. They will also discuss and decide whether there is relevant information to disclose and if so they will also be discussing a safety plan for the victim. This can take some time.

If the police decide to share information with you about the situation, then this information must be treated as confidential. If you break the confidentiality, then you need to be aware that you could face criminal proceedings. 

This is entirely accessible by anyone, and you have nothing to fear by requesting this enablement. 


Don’t be a bystander

Welsh Government provides resources through the don’t be a bystander campaign to support individuals who are concerned that someone may be experiencing abuse.

Play your part in reducing domestic abuse

The White Ribbon Campaign works to end male violence against women by engaging with men and boys, raising awareness, influencing change and providing resources to make change happen.

We encourage everyone and especially men and boys to make the White Ribbon Promise to never commit, excuse or remain silent about violence against women and girls.

I Promise to never commit, excuse or remain silent about violence against women.

Go to the Top